Saturday, January 28, 2012

Pants!

I've been super busy at work, and haven't really had time to post. If the choice is between a few minutes to blog and a few minutes to sew, the sewing generally wins!

BUT I have been doing some sewing. The navy jacket became a wadder because everything I tried to do to correct it just made it worse... I do know that the pattern fits quite well though, so that's a step in the right direction for sure! I also need to type up some "directions" though so I don't do things out of order. But other than that, it's going to become a reality pretty soon.

In the meantime, I decided I needed to do something less stressful so I decided to do pants. Many years ago when Don McCunn (How to Make Sewing Patterns) was giving live pants drafting classes, I took the class from him. I learned how to draft pants quickly and easily, and for the first time in my life had pants that actually fit me everywhere. Not ones that were okay, but ones that fit my own unique shape and form. Since then, I've made so many pair, and have drafted so many patterns, I could almost do them in my sleep. I have added a few refinements over the years~ couldn't live without Sandra Betzina's fly front zipper instructions, and I love the inseam pockets from David Coffin's book "Trousers."

So the first pair of pants are made, picture at the bottom. Sorry everything is on hangars until I get the hubby and I together at the same time with enough time to do pictures. This pair is a strange cotton lycra twill from the stash, source unknown, and I've added pockets that are kind of like the ones found on cargo pants. This particular pair will be used for more casual days. The following pair is a nice steel grey cotton lycra polished cotton, that I may have purchased from Nancy Erickson's Fashion Sewing site. It's a very nice fabric and will make nicer pants for work. You can see the pattern front and the fabric in the second picture. Backs are on the machine with the darts installed.

The goal for the week is to finish the grey ones, do a black pair, and make another navy pair of slacks, and get started on the modifications to the cowl neck top. Don't know if that's doable with my work schedule, but that's the goal. This week is the last quilt class, so all we have left to do is bind them, and I will have more time after that's done too!



Navy pants, cargo type pockets, fly front.



Soon to be steel grey pants, inseam pockets, fly front.

Hope you're having fun with your sewing too. More later!

No comments:

Post a Comment