Monday, February 20, 2012

Off the blog for a while

So I've been sewing pants, but slowly. We've been fighting either colds or flu here for the last few weeks, so I've been conserving my strength and my time for the necessary work life instead of the enjoyable blogging and sewing... LOL

The navy pants I made with the cute pockets got trashed. With the large amount of stretch in them, I decided they were a bit too big, so went back, took off the waistband, redid the back crotch seam, and brought them in to serge the seam. Because I have a narrow table that was kind of full of other things, the pants were scrunched up as I was doing the serging. And lo and behold, as I went to move them around I realized not only had I caught the right cheek of the back into the seam, which may have been fixable, the knife had slashed a hole about 2" long right smack dab in the middle of the right cheek so there was no fixing it without it being super noticeable! Darn! Another wadder and I really liked those pants. So far, a pair of pants and a jacket as wadders. I HATE that! I really am a better sewist than this!!!

So far I have got two pair of pants made that are great, a navy and a grey and I've started the navy jacket. Backs are sewn together. I need to cut out the fronts, sleeves, and facings and get them sewn up. The fabric is seriously off grain and I can't seem to get it grained up right. It's a cotton/rayon/lycra, and no matter what I do it doesn't work. So I'm doing the best I can with it, cutting one layer at a time, and will hope for the best. It's frustrating because it was a good quality fabric from Sawyer Brook and I paid fairly good money for it on sale.

I'll be posting pictures soon of part of the process. I love the in seam pockets from the David Paige Coffin trouser book, so will show you how I go about it! Hopefully that will be this evening or later in the week when I get finished with my work!

Elizabeth at Artisan's Square set up a mini challenge to have two garments finished by the end of February. If I do the jacket and a tee shirt, or stop and do a few tees, I could make that happen! Thinking I will need to pay attention and quit messing about though!

Have a fabulous Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment