Thursday, July 28, 2022

And so it goes…



 Well, the best laid plans. Hah!

 Based on a typical tax season, I was sure I’d be able to work through the In House Patterns Kayla fitting class this year. And then a perfect storm hit.

 The Company I had been working for decided to implement a new “Business Model,” with complete new software systems for everything from incoming telephone calls, appointment scheduling, to tax preparation, all Beta programs no less, being used on an insufficient band width to handle the load; and insufficient testing and tech support. We had software outages as much as it was up and running, sometimes with no notice, and no idea when or if it would be working again. In addition, we lost two of our most experienced preparers to health issues; another one died due to Covid; his (less experienced but still with a few years) spouse moved across the country due to his death; we got a semi-experienced preparer from another area of the country completely unfamiliar with our culture and unique set of circumstances, leaving us with two full time preparers instead of the usual four, and two part timers instead of the usual three. And to top it off, I’m a stress eater! So, my initial measurements came nowhere near close by the time I put my muslin together. Shoot!

 I still have all my work waiting to be readjusted and done and will be re-starting the process when my brain recovers enough to do in-depth calculations and fitting! Luckily, Alexandra leaves the information available forever for her students.

 After tax season ended, I was lucky enough to get to fly to California to meet my new Great Granddaughter, help celebrate her first birthday, be there for one of my other Granddaughter’s engagement and party, and relax with my oldest daughter’s family. It was lovely.

I have to admit, it took a good bit of time after I got home to get back into the sewing room. I set up several raised bed planters, have tomatoes coming in, and am learning rapidly that many plants will not survive in full sun in New Mexico. Most days it was 90 or above at our house in June, and it has continued in July with many days in the triple digits. Before next year I hope to get several shade trellis’s set up to shade the plants and me.

 I have returned to the sewing room for a few “quick and dirty” items which have become my summer six pack. I used my favorite colors of blue and red, and my now TNT patterns~ the In House Patterns Lila for three tops, two sleeveless where I bound the armholes with bias, and one with sleeves. I also took the Loes Hinse Oxford pants pattern, cut it into shorts, and made three pair of those with the hopes that by the end of the summer, I can shorten the waist elastic. We’ll see about that.

 


The heavy dark linen (a little hard to see on the right of the photo) for one pair of short is old stash and I used every bit and had to cut them cross grain to fit on my remnant.  The lovely flowered top is a viscose crepe from Sew Much Fabric purchased last August. The light blue is also old stash and is either linen or a linen rayon blend. It’s a much lighter weave and comfortable even when it’s scorching. The third outfit makes me smile because in my head I call it the “blue bird of happiness” outfit. It is a red background with blue flowers, blue and yellowish birds and yellowish green leaves. The fabric was purchased in March of 2010 from Denver Fabrics.com and looks like it was a bolt end because I got a 5 yard piece for $17.50. It’s a poplin shirting, 97% cotton and 3% lycra.

 I also found a lovely new shop in town that opened in May 2022 and was thankfully able to hold on during Covid. It’s called Thread Bear and is a quilting and yarn shop that offers lots of in store classes. I signed up for two. One was knitting socks. Unfortunately, I realized I don’t have the manual dexterity to use three, size 2 double ended needles, and so that was a bust. The other is a quilt class, which I am enjoying and is timely as another Great Grandbaby is due in a few weeks. The quilt won’t be done when it's born, but hopefully soon after. We’ll see.

 I’m also working on a Dr. Seuss themed alphabet wall hanging for the first Great Granddaughter. Their family has just purchased their first home, so it will adorn her new bedroom.

 Hope you're enjoying your summer and the scorching heat hasn't affected you adverselyMore later!


 

1 comment:

  1. This blog is amazing. Thank you for sharing your dressmaking journey. My problems are different, I'm short and feel the cold so I need to make my own coats.

    ReplyDelete