Sunday, February 6, 2022

Learning to actually fit patterns for anyone!

 You would think that for someone who has been sewing for over 55 years, a person would have the entire fitting process ingrained into their head. But that wouldn't necessarily be true.

As anyone who knows much about me is aware, my body changes on a regular basis with weight fluctuations, both small and large, and as I am learning all too well, body composition changes dramatically and regularly every year after the age of 60. Then to add to the mix, with the combination of age and surgeries to replace my knees, I've shrunk a few inches. And I always wanted to be taller, NOT shorter! All that has added to a real want and need to learn to fit multiple bodies.

To be absolutely honest, I have multiple fitting books from a vintage book by Vogue on fitting to many more recent ones with photos to help guide you to a solution for a specific issue, which may or may not cause additional issues.

To my absolute delight, I believe I have finally found an answer that will guide me to the answers, not just for my particular issue of the moment, but allow me to make garments that are custom fit to the wearer, whether it be me, or another person for whom I chose to make a garment. 

Once a year, Alexandra Morgan of In House Pattern Studio has an online class where with videos, worksheets, question and answer help, and a community of sewists who all have an intense ten week class that I was lucky enough to get enrolled into this year. 


Along with registration for the class, there is a pattern for a classic shirt, the Kayla, only available with the class registration, which is used to learn the fitting techniques and alterations. It comes in both a standard shirt pattern Via A, with a collar, collar stand, three quarter sleeve with cuff, and bust and waist darts. View B is an armhole princess seamed front with a yoke and back princess seams and a short sleeve, collar and collar stand.

I wasn't sure I could work the class into my schedule during my annual work period of January to April, aka tax season, but I am going to do my best to keep up with the class in my non-working hours. It has only been offered once each year, and I signed up for the waiting list last Spring, and made sure to register the first day registration was open so I didn't miss out! I am very interested in this class, vested in learning the fitting techniques for now and the future, and the vast extent of Alexandra's knowledge she is so willing to share, plus you do get lifetime access to the class once registered. 

If possible, I'll check in through the next few months and try to share my delight with the class.

Wishing you all a fabulous Spring!




3 comments:

  1. I'm in this class also and really have been impressed with the amount of information and detail that is included. I am looking forward to having a well fitting pattern. Good luck in your journey and maybe I'll see you in the community.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! I'll look for you when I'm there. I too, am extremely impressed with the depth of knowledge and so many details that hopefully will take us to that "bespoke" fit and quality we desire. Let's enjoy our mutual journey. Nice to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! I'll look for you when I'm there. I too, am extremely impressed with the depth of knowledge and so many details that hopefully will take us to that "bespoke" fit and quality we desire. Let's enjoy our mutual journey. Nice to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete