Monday, August 3, 2020

Where I am now.

Life Changes are happening.

It's been one heck of a year, hasn't it! As the year progresses, it seems like one thing after another arises to put a monkey wrench into the works. Yet, I am making progress.

After my second fall earlier this year, I finally got the message. Since I intend to live to 104, I needed to concentrate on my health. So I have been doing so. 😁

It didn't take a genius to realize that healing after the knee replacement would be more rapid if I eliminated some of the excess I have been carrying for way too many years. Although I am mortified to admit the truth, I had packed on about 90 excess pounds due to stress, health issues that caused additional stress, and injuries that not only added to the stress, but also brought on osteoarthritis. Feeling overwhelmed, I would start one program or another, only to get discouraged and quit after a week or two.

Towards the end of tax season, after winding up on a walker due to a particularly bad fall, my brain finally got the message and I got onto the health bandwagon. Eating right, and the physical therapy started the ball rolling, and it will continue probably until the end of this year, and afterwards once I reach my goal. I definitely don't want the yo-yo weight plan as I'm well aware that's harder on your body than anything. To date, I'm down 47 pounds since I arrived in Las Cruces, and I fully intend to lose the other half before the end of this year. That's somewhere around eight to ten sizes on my body!

My left hand is healing, and after 6 plus weeks I have much more use than I did, however, I'm still stiff and doing my exercises daily. Tomorrow I go in for my left knee replacement. That will be a bit longer recovery, and a much more painful one. If all goes well, they estimate about three months. Once that is healed, I'll be looking at my right hand surgery. I need my hands for tax season, so that comes before the right knee. At this point, I'm anticipating right knee will be done in 2021.

As I said in my last post, I haven't been able to sew at all, so I have been kind of planning my new wardrobe. Losing 90 pounds means a new wardrobe from the skin out. I hope to do my panties and bras from stashed fabric, with matching sets, and then also a new work wardrobe as well as a casual wardrobe.

First up will be to redo my sloper based on new measurements using the Suzy Furer Craftsy class. I'm so pleased they continued Craftsy! That came in so handy with making my clothing from the time I completed it until I could no longer sew. With narrow sloping shoulders and big everything else, it was a Godsend. So that will be up first. Then, I will be moving on to a hopefully coordinated, curated capsule wardrobe

Although I don't post often, I am a lurker on lots of blogs and I also follow many Instagram accounts. Last Friday, I was browsing Instagram and found the upcoming Seamwork Design Your Wardrobe class. After some investigation, I subscribed to Seamwork and signed up for the class. Even though in theory I have been using the SWAP ideas for multiple years, as well as following Nancy Nix Rice, and the Vivienne File, I figured a little more information wouldn't hurt and my refine things a bit more.
.
.I'll be working out my new wardrobe over the enxt several months, and hope to have a great outcome to show!

Keep sewing, keep happy and healthy, and I'll be back!

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear from you! Your new health plan sounds like it is working wonderfully. Best of luck for your surgery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Surgery was successful, and recovery is underway.

      Delete