Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Catch Up Time

At the time of my last post, I was attempting to trace the Linda Tunic from Angela Wolfe but having lots of problems with my hands. I have also been waiting to have knee replacements since last September. The hand problem started in January and has been going steadily downhill.

By the way, if any of you are Orthopedic Surgeons, specializing in knee replacement, there is a need for your services in Las Cruces, New Mexico!

I scheduled my appointment right after Labor Day last year. First available appointment was April 22. As we all know, surgeries have been deferred. And to complicate matters further, my doctor’s former group closed, so he’s with another group now. The other highly recommended knee replacement surgeon has a one year waiting list just to see him for a diagnosis, and when they restarted “elective surgeries” on June 1, I have heard he had a backup of 150 patients. Not sure where I am on the list for my doc, because his former practice didn’t forward my records, so I wasn’t even on the list until Monday. SIGH!

However, in the meantime, I was given a referral for physical therapy, which is what I have been doing for the last couple of months. Two days a week with the hand therapist who informed me I needed carpal tunnel surgery in both hands. Two to three days with the physical therapist in the pool for my knees. The good news is that my legs are much stronger, as is my balance. I haven’t had my leg collapse causing a fall since April. (My newly acquired walker, loan from a friend, helps with that!)

Bad news is that the PT didn’t help my hands at all. I’m now at the point where I can barely hold a fork or a pen, and my handwriting which was always good isn’t even legible to me. I can’t hold a book, put on my own bra, button or zip anything, chop vegetables, trace a pattern, insert a pin,etc., etc. It has been a very tough time for me as well as my husband, who has had to take up the slack. He's been doing all the shopping, helping me to dress, driving me to therapy, and so much more.

Good news! I saw the hand surgeon on Monday, and am scheduled for my first carpal tunnel surgery on Friday, the 19th of June. It’s outpatient and normal recovery time is 3 weeks. At the two week point when they remove my stitches, they will schedule my second hand. WOO HOO!  Can’t wait to have my hands working normally again!

While the “scheduler” was handling my surgery appointment, I asked if she also schedule my knee surgeon’s appointments. She asked why, I responded, and she said no, but her office mate did. I was able to ask the office mate where I was on the list, at which time I found out the other office hadn’t forwarded my records, so I wasn’t on the list. She immediately put a request in for the records, and when they arrive, I’ll get on the surgery schedule.

Thank goodness, it looks like "God willing and the criks don’t freeze over," I may get all my issues handled this year! With surgeries needed for both knees and both hands, it's been a tough year so far.

That said, I’ve been told I won’t be doing any typing after each hand surgery, so it will probably be the end of summer, or fall before anything much show up here again.

I’ve been virtually sewing through all your blogs and Instagram posts, so I’ll keep that up. Stay safe, stay healthy, and keep sewing!







1 comment:

  1. Lynda,

    Sending good thoughts, prayers and pixie dust for successful outcome and recovery from your surgeries. Hoping the June 19th surgery was on schedule.

    As of the beginning of 2020, I limited my non-essential screen time to about an hour per day. Have been behind ever since!

    Looking forward to your recovery and return to your blog.

    ...Taja (in AZ)

    ReplyDelete