Saturday, October 29, 2022

My first queen sized quilt!

 This one has been a long time coming. After my recent quilt class at Thread Bear in Las Cruces, New Mexico, I decided I really need to get all the WIP quilts out and complete them.

I took a Jelly Roll race class at A Quilted Heart in Vacaville, CA, January 5 of 2016. It looked like this at the end of the class:


Because I wanted a queen size quilt, I had purchased two more jelly rolls of the same fabrics, but I had no idea of how to use them to make it sufficiently large to go on my bed. After my recent class where we learned about putting things together, I went kind of hog wild. I wanted this one done, so just went for it, sewing strips together and cutting them apart, and then resewing them in random squares. 

As an aside and note to self, it would have been better to do some planning instead of my random  putting things together which made a kind of crazy quilt design. But, moving forward, lesson learned. For the last couple of weeks, my sewing time has been taken up with trying to get this to a large enough size for my bed. 

I finished up this morning, and it has gone to the magic man with the long arm quilter. I'm looking forward to having it completed, but he's quite backed up, so will be a while before I get it back. Then just bind the edges, and I've got a new quilt, after only seven years!

Here's the a portion of the finished quilt top:


Now I'll get back to garment sewing for a while, but we have a new great grandson on the way, so there will be quilting in betwixt and between. I think the quilting bug might have bitten me!

More soon, hopefully!





No comments:

Post a Comment