Tuesday, September 22, 2020

More of the planning and my life

 It's been an interesting summer! I have only gone out to the doctor and the physical therapist. I know that many folks are having such a hard time this year with social distancing and lockdowns, Fortunately for me, I'm kind of a hermit anyway, and as a reader, sewist, crossword puzzle and computer games player, in general, it hasn't bothered me too much. Plus, between Amazon Prime and on line fabric stores, I've probably had a bit too much fun with shopping. 😲

I do miss my family, and we are fairly devastated that we'll miss a granddaughter's wedding in California, but we can't take chances with Covid, and my wonderful husband would have to miss three weeks of work. One for travel and the festivities, and two for self-quarantine. He is quite happy with his current job, and if we did that, he'd be out of work permanently. When you're in your seventies, it's not smart to give up a job you enjoy. They're too hard to find. As of today, they are showing 513,000 cases of Covid in the U.S., and we're going to hit 200,000 deaths. Since we're in the "prime" category for the disease, we don't want to take any chances!

The forced isolation has allowed me to complete not only all of my Continuing Education for income taxes, but has allowed me to "level up" three certifications with my company. Next year should be a really good year and allow me to do a lot of the more complex and interesting tax returns that come in.

I've also been planning my new wardrobe for tax season. As shown in the last post, I have two mini capsules, one in blues and one in gray. I have additional fabrics to go with both, that will be posted before too long. I'm trying to do a mixture of stash fabrics and new, as well as new and older patterns. It should come together nicely.

I also have a LOT of brown fabrics as it's always been one of my go-to colors for a neutral in everything from beige to bittersweet chocolate, including taupe, camel, and various iterations therein. So as I start working in that vein, I have of so many fabrics to choose from and try to mix and match. My first two follow. 

Brown Capsule #1

This grouping will be more fall-winter than the next one, but the blouse is definitely an all season fabric here. The wool for the jacket is new, and hasn't been shipped yet. As you can see, the shirt fabric is from stash, not super old, but well seasoned. The wool flannel for the trousers, (along with a lovely cotton voile not yet shown) are from Sew Much Fabric, purchased in August of last year. The Deer and Doe jacket pattern is a fairly recent purchase, as I love the neck edge sans lapels but with a bit of interest. I won't use the back, because it has a peplum, and will adapt to a standard shape. I'm not a fan of peplums on my body. The Sorbetto was the first PDF I ever downloaded, and have had it since September of 2016, when it was offered as a free pattern. 

Brown Capsule #2

This goes in a slightly different direction. The jacket is a blend- possibly rayon and wool purchased from Sandy Scrivano at a seminar at the Santa Rosa chapter of the American Sewing Guild in the late 1990s or very early 2000s. It's got a camel and a blue subtle check on a beige background. The blue is a cotton, that I don't remember buying, so probably old stash. The pants will be from a June purchase from Vogue Fabrics, called  "Neutral Crinkled Woven Linen-Nylon blend." For now, the jacket is a Butterick pattern first made in 2015. The blouse pattern may change when I see how a collared shirt lines up with the shawl collar of the jacket. The pants are my standard TNT. Pretty much a uniform for me.  

I have a piece of taupe wool for trousers on which I'm still debating coordinates, and many pieces of t-shirt fabrics and blouse fabrics for "pops of color" as well as a Ralph Lauren cream silk of which I bought 5 yards when on a fabulous sale.

I also have a black and eggshell 60% silk, 40% wool blend basketweave, purchased 01/07/2010, out of which l'll be making a Closet Core blazer with to go with some black wool or linen slacks. And given time, so very many more. 😁I'm excited about a whole new wardrobe!

I'll be looking at lots of other capsule components through the fall prior to getting started sewing. I'm planning on starting in earnest at Thanksgiving and running through the first week of January. Wish me luck!

How are your sewing plans coming? 





4 comments:

  1. What a lovely wardrobe you are making. Love how you are using browns, creams and blues. It will look very smart and professional for next tax season.

    Hurrah on finishing your courses and being able to do more complicated and interesting taxes. Job well done.

    We have been nowhere also. If we leave the Atlantic bubble we have to self isolate for 14 days. Not worth it in our opinion. Staying home and traveling locally was what we did this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Ann. The 14 day self-quarantine is absolute in New Mexico for anyone coming in from anywhere. I absolutely get it and because of our State's actions, our infection and death rates are relatively low thank goodness. I don't understand people who would rather risk their lives than wear a mask or social distance. But to each his own so long as I don't have to be near any of them. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete