Monday, August 5, 2019

I'm still around...but LIFE!

Ridiculous that I haven't posted for 2 months, but there it is.

I haven't really done that much sewing, anyway. My son-in-law passed away unexpectedly the end of June which brought up many, many issues, not only for my daughter and Grands, but some of my own as I was quite young when my own father passed away.

I did finish my beginning Spanish class at the local community college, and was reminded once again that having a class that takes a full semester and gets jammed it into 6 or 8 weeks means you are underwater with studying and homework the entire time. I did come out with a 4.0, but felt like I didn't learn enough. It was too jammed up with too little time to actually memorize all the verb tenses and phrases that are vital to having a conversation. So, good news, bad news. :-)

I wanted to get a bit more organized, and bought a new, very inexpensive bookcase from Amazon that now holds several boxes of patterns, some of my most vital reference books, my ham, my June tailor board, my clapper, and spare plastic pattern envelopes. I did get to bring some (12 pattern boxes!) of my patterns in from our back yard shed, so it's easier to find things. But there are still many out there in filing cabinets that I really need to go through and cull out any I'm no longer interested in sewing.

I haven't had a lot of time to sew, but did finish the skirt block and the flared skirt from the "in House Patterns" May challenge. This picture looks like it dips in the front, but it is an illusion.It is a black linen, that will work well for whatever needs I have for a skirt in the warmer weather.


After that, I made a couple of hot weather sleeveless tops from my TNT pattern that was first made in August of 2013! The above top is the same pattern! I'm not even sure what the original pattern looked like, but I believe it had a collar. Should check that out I guess. Perhaps it's time to change it up. Who knows? 

This first one is from a rayon remnant I've had in the stash forever. Not sure where or from whence it has come! It has a lovely hand and the colors feel like summer to me. Makes me feel cooler even in triple digit heat!




This second one is from a piece of cotton purchased (on sale!) from Fashion Fabrics Club.com in May of this year. I love making blouses that fit, I like the fabric, and end up costing under $10 for the whole thing! Pretty amazing to use a "new" fabric instead of one that's been around for years! LOL

I can't believe it, but it's already August. I promised myself that this year I'd start in August on fall/winter work clothes. To that end, I have two jackets on the list, one in a black and white tiny check, and another navy and brown herringbone. One will be lapel-less, and the other I think is going to have a shawl collar. But before that, I'm jumping in on the "tunic" craze. I found one that doesn't look all that 60's to me, and have just traced off the pattern. I do need to muslin the back and front yokes because from the way it looks to me now, the front Vee will be about 2-3" below the top of my bra. That really isn't my style! LOL

The pattern is from Bootstraps,#45749,  and it seems to me this will be a nice top to wear when I'm not interested in wearing a blazer. Lots of the ladies at my office never wear jackets, and this has a  similar look to their choices, but more my style. I have several nicely draping rayons that it might work for. We'll see what I think when it's done!

Hopefully, it won't be so long before I post again! I love to use this as my sewing record, so need to keep it more up to date. The sewing this year is way behind a typical year for me, and I hope over the next few months, to get it moving!

Wishing you lots of sewing mojo and the time to make lovely items.


No comments:

Post a Comment