Thursday, May 9, 2019

The jacket looks better now

Thursday, May 9

Well, today is a beautiful day in New Mexico! We've had a high of 80, and it should get down into the mid 50 degrees tonight with a chance of showers from about 10 PM to about 2 AM. That makes all of the flowers happy!

I've been working on continuing education as well as sewing. The jacket bothered me with that big white spot down the left side enough that I finally pulled out the scraps, cut around flowers, and am going to applique them to the front panel. I have it basted on right now and it looks SO MUCH BETTER. Here's a pic with the completed blue linen pants.



Much better in my opinion! 

This week, I'm doing some playing. Alexandra Morgan of In House Patterns up in Vancouver, BC is having a little free skirt "draft along" for the month of may in honor of Me Made May. I really want to do more drafts because the Suzy Furrer bodice worked out so well. In general, I am finding it much easier to do a draft from scratch to my measurements than trying to alter a commercial pattern. In that vein, I've joined her this week and today I drafted my skirt pattern. BTW, if you're interested, she's doing it all this month and you can join free by just asking. Here's the link: https://www.inhousepatternsstudio.com/email-capture-2bd2e31e-65fb-4816-ab95-6294d01fcdf6

However, that doesn't mean I'm not using commercial patterns. I am using my bodice block to alter the commercial patterns and that seems to make it much easier and less error prone than starting from scratch. I have a blouse coming up soon, I hope. I've pulled out Vogue 8689, (copyright is 2010) interestingly enough, it's still on their website: https://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v8689 and have pulled out the pieces for View A. I'll probably not start tracing them until tomorrow. 

My boss that wanted me to come back to work neglected to tell me that for summer work, the pay scale is 25% less than I'd been paid for tax season. I  politely declined the offer when I got the contract. However, I am continuing on with my progress and will be ready to go back in January for tax season. So I don't really have to do too many "professional" outfits for summer and I can mosey along with what I want to sew instead. 😎

I've also signed up for a Spanish class at the local community college. That starts in about a week, and will be four mornings a week. I expect my summer is going to be busy. But fun!

I'll try to check in more frequently! Hope all your sewing is going well!




No comments:

Post a Comment