Sunday, November 11, 2018

Work pants

Feels a bit strange to be making a work wardrobe again, but I'm having fun and enjoying the fact that I'll be meeting lots of new folks and making money at the same time! AND best of all, it's only for a few months, so the rest of the year, we're hoping to get to play explorers when we have a long weekend.

My knees are improving and I notice odd things at odd times. I'm far ahead of my friend that had both knees replaced a few months before I did my stem cell therapy, so it's encouraging. I did see somewhere on a site that a woman who had hers done indicated it was about a year before she felt back to her "before" status. In that case, I'm only half way through and am pleased with my progress. It is odd though that I am having to "relearn" how to walk correctly. After 10 years +/- of knee problems, I had adapted my stance and my way of walking. Now I'm working back to normal and frequently get odd leg cramps because of the change. I am hoping it will eventually get me back the 1 1/2" inches that I've shrunk, but at the ripe old age of almost 72, I'm not holding my breath.

Anyhow, I spent my odd minutes here and there last week working on another core piece. These are a quick pair of slacks out of a grey stretch cotton. I'm pretty sure it's a piece I got from Gorgeous Fabrics back in May of 2016. Unfortunately, I copied the photo off the website, but didn't attach a swatch when it got here. I used the same Burda TNT pattern I've been using for almost everything that covers my lower half.


I do have some black linen for the next pair of slacks, and probably will also make a pair of black tropical weight wool ones too.

I also pulled out a very old Burda pattern...from before they added seam allowances! I looked but it doesn't have a copyright date on it, so not sure, but the wide shoulders appear to be maybe from the 80's? Fairly bad picture but my scanner isn't working so I'm having to use pictures from the Internet.




I had originally cut this back when I was a size 14 or European size 40, so I had to use the pieces from view A, the green one. I had made a lot of these tops back in the day to wear under a suit jacket, and I figured if I can adapt it to my current size using my Suzy Furrer block it should work. Plus it is super easy and quick to do. I have the pattern copied off with my adjustments and will be playing with that in the next day or so. If it works, a nice rayon challis will work well for my future plans.

Well, more later! Hope your sewing endeavors are going well!






2 comments:

  1. Yay! Your revived working wardrobe is coming along nicely. :-)

    I empathize with learning to walk properly again. I have been battling sciatica for nearly three years. Could not bend or flex anything below the hips for two years. Finally have the hips and pelvis aligned pretty well and am working on my core, balance and walking. A lot more to do beyond that, but it's coming along nicely.

    Please be sure to get up, stretch and move around a bit when you work long days. That was my downfall--sitting far too long!

    Looking forward to your updates!


    Taja

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments! I appreciate knowing others out there battle their bodies to do things. The core, balance, and walking are all issues I am contending with too. And definitely, when I sit too long, it's difficult. I'm TRYING to do something for a little while, then move on to something else, and then something else, so I do get movement and not the stiffness from one position all day. Good luck to you too!

    ReplyDelete