Sunday, November 4, 2018

Dia de los Muertos shirt

Just a quick post today to document that I actually made a shirt for my sweet husband.

Back in 2013 he had a quadruple bypass and ever since has been saying he came back from the dead. Quite some time ago he requested a shirt out of Dia de los Muertos fabric to wear on Halloween as well as to commemorate the life giving surgery. Long story, but the first one was done with a commercial pattern and did not fit AT ALL.

If you're unfamiliar with the Holiday and want to know more about it, here's a link to the Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_of_the_Dead

I went ahead and did a pattern draft for him, and it mellowed in the pattern drawer for several years as every time I'd offer to make it up, his response was he didn't want to take me away from what I wanted to do. Well, things changed this year.

Shortly after I started my tax classes, he said he wanted the shirt for this year. He's driving a school bus and many of the drivers were special things for Halloween. In and around my classes and homework (about 35 or 40 hours a week) I put together a shirt using the parts I found. Unfortunately, it's not perfect, and I've made some notes on changes for the next shirt I'll make him. But bottom line is he loved it, wore it, got lots of compliments at work.

So without further ado:

It's a bit wrinkled after a day of having a seat belt attached, but it didn't wrinkle as much as I anticipated being 100% cotton. I've got a few ideas for some more shirts, perhaps for Christmas in and around making clothing for my new work life.

There are a pair of grey pinstripe trousers almost cut out and ready to go, so I'll be off to work on them.

Hoping your sewing is going marvelously and you're enjoying your processes! More later!


2 comments: