Friday, March 31, 2017

Been sewing, not posting?

I've been doing a bit of sewing, but not really posting. Don't know why, but that's the case.

I finished the Bootstraps #40029 second shirt, and added about 3" to the sleeves, which suits me better. Here's the finished top:


Bootstraps #40029 #2

It's gone into rotation already. I debated about what would be next, but due to the weather in my new location, shorts hit the radar hard. I have the Style Arc Jennifer City Shorts that I thought might be just perfect. I haven't used many Style Arc patterns, and the instructions and way of doing things are a bit different than I'm used to. On the first pair I goofed up the waist facing treatment, and had to modify it to work. I also left out the hem vents on this pair. Here's an in progress photo with the pants on before hems and waist facing. I think you can tell they lie really low on my body:


When I got to the second pair, I inserted an inch in the body of the pants to bring them up a bit higher. I did get the vents into this pair too. They're all done except sewing the button on the second pair. Unfortunately, as I was doing my preliminary test for the buttonhole, my machine decided it didn't want to do those anymore. SIGH! It's now in the shop where they are estimating a 2-3 week turnaround. I'm hoping it just needs adjustment and not a new computer part! I pulled out my Pfaff Passport that I bought to take to classes, and set it up. I've only used it a couple of times, and it took a while to find everything and get it moving, but I actually really like the buttonholes on that machine. Both pair are in a light weight denim from JoAnn Fabrics. Here's a pic of both together. 


I'm not sure if the first pair are going to make the cut. I cut the size indicated for my measurements, but yesterday I was wearing them, and after the typical denim stretch, they were falling off my body. I realized I could actually remove them without undoing the button and buttonhole! Perhaps after a couple of wearings and washing in hot water, they'll be fine. I did realize I really don't like a waistband facing on MY body. I love them on others, but with my body, they don't sit well, and as stated above, have a tendency to move on down the torso. 

To that end, I went out today because JoAnn has their Burda patterns on sale for $2.49 and got Burda #6613, which will be used for the next pair of shorts. Hopefully going back to my beloved Burda will get me some shorts that work really well on my body. If they don't I'll modify my self drafted trousers to make the shorts work for me. 


I'm also reworking the navy ponte waterfall jacket I made a year ago. It was kind of oversized when I made it, and 30 pounds later, it's just sad. So I've removed the sleeves and the side seams, and am debating what I'm going to do with it. I think it's going to be recut with a Semi Grainline Studios Morris jacket vibe. Or maybe something else. However, it's going to be a lot shorter, a lot more fitted, and probably will lose at least most of the waterfall. 

My "to do" list is getting longer and longer. I want at least four or five pair of shorts, several new woven tank tops, some tees, and...I have a few bathing suits on the list too, as we've become regulars at the Tuesday and Thursday Aqua Fit classes, and I'm going to add on a third one each week. The old bathing suits are getting pretty roomy, and this week as we were doing "jumping jacks" I almost lost the bottoms to my Tankini. I got a pattern from Butterick that is in the right range I think, and have the fabric and notions for three new suits. We'll see how that goes. 

Hope your March was marvelous! More later,


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm sorry but all of a sudden I cannot reply to your comments. Please know I read them and cherish each comment. Thank you.