Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Have to retool a bit, but I like it just the same!

I finished up the Sangria knock off over the weekend, but didn't get any photos until Monday. It's not an epic fail, but it needs a bit of tweaking to get it just right.

Here's the hanger shot:

As I said before, this is a really light weight tissue rayon jersey from Girl Charlee. 
http://www.girlcharlee.com/

Things I love:
1. the color is spot on. This has been lightened a bit to show the insert, but it's a glorious royal blue. 
2. The fit is good. 
3. I love the way the rayon jersey turns into cowl type folds instead of the more staid and fitted look of the original. 
4. It's really comfortable to wear.

Things I don't love:
1. The way the center piece hangs way below the hem line. I really don't need pooling around my abundant and bodacious belly! LOL
2. It was almost impossible to do the hems and make them look nice. If you look closely, you will see that one sleeve hem is done by machine, and the other is hand sewn. 

Thoughts for the next one: stop the ruching about 4-5 inches below the hem, or pleat the interior instead of gathering. Definitely make the seam allowances on that piece wider to give some room to work on it. 

So it has been set aside for some breathing room for a few days while I work on the first version of the cardigan jacket out of the Georgette fabric that I want to use for my summer topper. 

I am contemplating the best way to fix that droop at the front and have come to the conclusion that the only way to do it is to remove the hem, reopen the sewn and serged seams from about 6" up, and remove the final 5 or 6 inches of the ruching, then re-hem. It's not going to be fun to take the stitching out of this as the color of the thread is almost a perfect match for the fabric and it's so drapey that it's hard to remove the stitching without cutting the fabric. BIG SIGH. 

But I believe the top will be worth the work! 

Moving ahead, I'm working on a "jacket" out of a Georgette. Not sure whether it's silk or a blend. It's OLD stash fabric, probably purchased back in the 80's from the old Natural Fiber Fabrics club. I'm using my modified cardigan jacket pattern, and this will be the first "wearable muslin" after all my alterations to the actual muslins. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this one. It's the first time I've sewn anything out of Georgette and it's a bear to mark the darts. I'm hoping they come out looking right instead of sideways. :P}}

A sneak peak at the fabric, which will be a workhorse in my wardrobe:


It's got almost every color of my core wardrobe in there. Hard to see in this swatch, but it has navy, dark brown, taupe, black, cream, gray, and even a bit of yellow in there. I'm hoping it will turn out well as it would be nice for a topper over a tee in the really warm temps, and give me the professional look without the typical "glow" I endure from summer through the middle to end of October!

Hope your sewing is going well!



2 comments:

  1. I love that top and I think the lower hem at front is a nice feature - sort of like Simplicity 1806 - although you have to be happy wearing it. Love the upcoming fabric. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bea Jay. I think on someone with a different shape it would be okay like it is. Don't like it on me. I'll try to get another picture on me this week so you can see what I mean.
    I'm definitely not giving up because I love it too.

    ReplyDelete