Sunday, January 13, 2013

Onward and upward!

Not a huge week for sewing around here. We have been fighting the bug that's going around. The flu hasn't hit yet Northern California as dramatically as it has the East, but that's not to say it isn't here.

As an Appraiser, I am absolutely flabbergasted that someone who is too sick to go to work would have me come to inspect their house while breathing their germs all over me and expecting me to shake their hand.

I am a firm believer in Zicam and seem to be abusing it somewhat because I don't have the time, or the desire to become ill. If you haven't tried it yet, think about it. For both Dale and I, when we notice a cold or flu coming on, we instantly start taking it. It generally will either prevent or lessen any symptoms almost immediately. I'm not in any way affiliated with the company, but heard about it from a Pharmacist many years ago and have been a die hard fan ever since. That said, I have been Zicamming a lot more than usual, and sleeping a lot more than usual, but didn't go down completely. So I'm happy!

In my spare time, around working, sleeping, and all the rest, I did have a few minutes this week to work on my second SWAP garment. It's my TNT Pamela's Perfect Tee shirt pattern, this time with a round neck and long sleeves. It's in a luscious silk/wool jersey from Mood this time. I love it and will get a ton of use out of it as it's the right weight for Spring and Fall as well as winter with a jacket.


And thanks to Caroline from Diary of a Sewing Fanatic for the hint about the knits. I only wear natural fiber fabrics and it's hard to find sweater knits that are attractive and don't have either poly or acrylic or some other such fiber mixed in. This one is as soft as can be, and I have enough to also make a tank for wearing under jackets in the warmer months. Woo Hoo!

Lying on my cutting table right now is some brown wool from my stash for slacks. Again, my TNT self drafted pants pattern will be used. Now debating on whether they need a separate lining or if I'll make a "pant liner" which to me means a pair of Bemberg rayon slacks with an elastic waist. I think it's a good option as I don't much like to pay dry cleaners, and if the slacks don't have a stain, generally I can get away with just steaming after wearing and airing. BUT, the pant liner can be washed much more frequently. I think it's a win, win.

I'm feeling encouraged that it's the end of the second week in January and I have two SWAP garments already done. I've made so many pants that those are almost second nature, so they will go quickly. I may actually finish a SWAP this year! WOW.

More later!

3 comments:

  1. Some people just seem soooo intent on sharing their germs, as if to punish everyone else! Keep popping those Zicam (will have to google and see what these are - we probs have a different brand name Down Under).
    Just love the colour of your top - the fabric sounds just devine...J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck finding it! It's miraculous stuff. We were traveling with a pharmacist, and one day he had a horrible head cold and the next he was fine. We found out from him what he took. At that time, it was a nasal spray, which I guess could cause some people to lose their sense of smell as it has a lot of zinc. Now we get either chewable tablets or a spray kind of like a portable mouthwash... Binaca here. If you have to work with the public, it's definitely something to have on hand at all times!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Tshirt pattern will be used many, many times, I'm sure. It's so easy to change up a TNT pattern with style lines, making it different each time. Much easier than refitting every time you make something. Stay well, if possible, during this flu epidemic.

    ReplyDelete